Monday, August 16, 2010

Waiting like as if it's our first date

Do you still remember how you had to prepare yourself for your first date?

Some of us might discuss the possible scenarios with close friends - "what should I have for dinner so that I can fill my stomach and yet not look like a pig to my date?" or "should I kiss her when I send her home?" Then on the big day itself, we fret over what to wear, what perfume to use and perhaps even a mental note on the a list of topics to inject into the conversations should it turn stale, quiet and awkward. Final checklist may include ensuring the tables are reserved at the right restaurant for the right day and time, and that you have a few post-dinner options
depending on her mood...

Tell me I've got it right because this is how I'm feeling now.


Hyeyoung is due to arrive in 5 days and as time slowly luges forward, I can't help but feel like I'm preparing for a major date with her. The only difference now is that there's no dinner, no movies, and no wine bar to chill but simply to wait patiently for her arrival at the right belt, at the right time.

Such a simple and defined moment and yet my mind has been visualizing that moment for the past 3,452,394 seconds, playing it over and over, and over, and over again. The reason, I guess, is simple:

I CAN'T WAIT, PERIOD.


But. (Yes, there's always a 'but' to the other side of the story.) But I know time is never enough for Hyeyoung, especially when she's having great fun spending time with her family. Korea is her home and it should be. For that reason, as much as I feel like jumping out of my skin and just run to the airport now, I cannot deny her of her time in Korea. And so I try to leave her out of my countdown, because it's counting down to saying goodbyes for her and the last thing anybody wants is to see his love one tearing at the airport. So to Hyeyoung I say:

"Treasure your time in Korea and know that it's not 'goodbye' but 'see you later' for we will soon be back again I'm sure."

No comments: