Monday, September 26, 2011

Fast cars and hot... err... Korean singers!

Thanks to my secret Santa, the weekend started early with tickets to witness the practice sessions of the Singapore F1 Grand Prix "live", from the Republic Grandstand.


That's Vettel, perfecting his lap... (You can tell it's him from the big screen behind.)


This is the view from our seats - the first and second turns after the starting gird/pit stop.


Turn 3 with this Ferrari (not sure who) coming in to negotiate the last of the series of turns.

This is possibly my favorite picture for the evening. Pity that it's neither a Red Bull or a Ferrari. I can't upload the video I took from where I took this photo but here's something similar to show crazily fast and loud these machines are. (Yes, they are not cars.)



Despite being practice-day, the atmosphere within the racetrack zones were carnival-like and I swear, every single tap (apart from the ones in the bathroom) are flowing with alcohol! It was surprisingly... fun! The blast from the raw V8 engines was no doubt deafening, but it was at the same time (and again surprisingly), exhilarating and very addictive. Hyeyoung and I were actually yearning to hear them from my office on qualifying night. Weird isn't it? Oh, they even dressed up the bars to resemble what they look like on Emerald Hill.

Aren't they cute? (ICB is the last one on the left btw.)

Anyway, I digressed...

Hyeyoung and I left the practice session slightly earlier because we had to walk from where we were (like 10 mins from Nicoll Highway Station) to freaking Padang! Omg, and a w.a.l.k it was! I was so glad that I changed and not gone in my jeans. I must say that it was also the walk that we saw the track from various vantage points and certainly made the entire experience very enriching.

But of course, for Hyeyoung, the night had just began... :)

A (almost all-female) crowd had already formed by the time we got there. (Obviously not very big F1 fans/spectators too.) Apparently according to one of the security guys, wristbands were given out in the afternoon/early evening and they had access to be in front of the stage, while we were stuck outside the cordoned area. (Note: There were still, plenty of space available inside the cordoned area.)

Seungri opened the show but there was no doubt that it was G-Dragon and TOP that the crowd was waiting for. Thankfully, some sense got into the security and they opened the floodgate. Albeit too late but good enough! Very naturally, everybody FLOODED into the main arena. That's where Hyeyoung got up close with the trio (as you can see from the photo below).

Boy, was she a very happy girl that night. (Actually, she was very happy the entire weekend. Those who have her on Facebook would know that she can die in peace now. Lol.) Here's a short clip of their (final) performance.


(Please be a bit understanding of the audio quality - The music was blaring, which was great, but I can't stuff ear plugs into my poor DeeNinety's microphones.)

We left with exhaustion, dehydration but with beaming delight. With the upcoming anniversary, the timing of the tickets couldn't have been better. We saw snippets of the race from an elevator in Marina Mandarin and so being able to see the cars so close was awesome, not to mention the fact that I attended my inaugural K-Pop concert and Hyeyoung saw GD and TOP. It was GREAT/FABULOUS/AWESOME!! :D

Now I need to work hard to make enough money to buy tickets for the 3 days whilst keeping my fingers crossed that maybe BEG or 2NE1 might be one of the featuring acts for next year's Singapore Formula 1 Grand Prix.

*If not, the FOC view from my office is also not bad!

No comments: