Thursday, October 07, 2010

Another milestone...

Reading about how MM Lee gave not one but two kisses to bid farewell to his beloved wife simply broke my heart - for I can just imagine how much he loves her.

Growing up as a rebellious teenager, I hated him and his political party. Nonetheless when he visited ANU during my second year there, I was the only willing student who not only spoke publicly to Straits Times in full support of what he has done for my country, but also defended him against the Australian's accusation of him being an authoritarian. Politics aside, having being spoken to him personally enable me to visualize how he gave those parting kisses as I too, has received his sincerity and kindness before.

MM Lee gave his wife two parting kisses because he simply can't bear to let her go. Imagine that grieve in his heart. I guess if I have to be in his shoes because I think I'd have definitely done the same. For some reason, his love for her resonates within me and it is with this very feeling inside that I write this entry...

.
.
.

Not too long ago, Hyeyoung and I celebrated our first year anniversary. It was simple but eventful celebration to mark a very important milestone in our relationship. Friends around us would know that although it's only been a year but we had to overcome many obstacles to be where we are today.

Hyeyoung took a leap of faith to fly straight to Singapore with me after graduation and I decided to forgo Honors to look after her in Singapore. She finished her first proper internship and after five tiring rounds of interview, finally landed herself a job in Singapore while I was fortunate enough not to have difficulties landing my first job, it was tough finding a second one when I decided the first one wasn't quite what I was looking for. Meanwhile, both of us had to get accustomed to life without Academie House, a life with many more responsibilities.

Till today, we sometimes still struggle with this transition. At times I would be very annoyed, irritated and frustrated with all that is going around me but Hyeyoung never failed to be supportive and encouraging. This is especially so in the past few months as I struggle to find peace, satisfaction and passion with my career - something which I had been looking forward to carve while as a student, only to realize that life truly is never a bed of roses.

We had a really good time when we celebrated our anniversary - having very fulfilling meals at Shangri-La's The Rose Veranda and Stella@1-Altitude, tasting (and finishing) that long-awaited champagne, having an endless view of Singapore from 1-Altitude, and even impromptu puffs along Singapore River as we sampled beer at Red Dot Brewery. But it's never about the expensive dining venues with polished silverware with limited edition vintage champagne isn't it? It's about sending that one consistent message "I love you" through whatever you are doing. Amidst all the fanciful stuff, I'm not sure if I'd really expressed my gratitude and love enough because I know, deep inside my heart, Hyeyoung has really given me a lot and the past 365 days with her has been unforgettable.

Looking back, I don't think I've spent so much time with an individual who's not a family member of mine. Apart from the first few months of our relationship when we were busy writing our final essays and preparing for the final exams of our university lives, we practically spend most of our waking hours next to each other. "It's amazing we're not sick/bored of each other," Hyeyoung said in the car one day as we were reminiscing about the past and the upcoming anniversary. I agree. It really is amazing how we managed to do it.

I always say that, "We can never choose who we want to fall in love with" and I'm so thankful that God has given me the chance to love a girl so sweet and great as Hyeyoung. Seriously, I don't think any girl would have sewed a pencil case from scratch for me, simply because she knows I'm fussy and she can't seem to find the ideal case for me. "I enjoyed every stitch thinking of you. Hope you like it and it made your day." How can I not feel so indebted to a girl like Hyeyoung?

So Hyeyoung, thank you very much for everything all these while. It's impossible to write so much in a card so here it is, written on my very own space in cyberspace. I feel very blessed to be love by you and everyday, you continue to bring joy into my life so thank you. Thank you for being such a wonderful gift from God, for being so sweet and supportive, for being my soulmate. It's really amazing how everything comes together. Sometimes I still I can't believe the girl whom I did not even breath a word to, yet had left such a deep impression when I attended my first Japan Club Annual General Meeting, would one day be my girlfriend. Nor can I believe when I went for the first Japan Club's movie screening, the girl who had appeared suddenly at the registration counter with food and excitedly asking everybody to eat, would one day be a girl I had grew to love so much.

Well, I'm not sure what kind of challenges the various tomorrows might bring but just as I know in my heart that you'd be there for me, I'd be there for you too. :)

No comments: